clock on tower

Big Ben Clock (4 Nov. 2010 bbc.co.uk)

Is it worth it? After two years of putting out Canadian Writers Abroad (CWA), that’s a question I have to ask myself. The other question is: should I continue? CWA eats time. Considering that time devours mountains, according to The Hobbit riddle, that is serious. What would I do with this extra time? Write more or better fiction? In addition, for posts that get no feedback, it feels like I am writing into the void. But so would I be with fiction, which gets no feedback until it is either critiqued or published.

Compared to the rewards of editing (and writing most of) CWA, those negatives are mere trifles. Research has led me into new territories. CWA has caused me to do things I have not done before, such as give a paper to an academic conference. I have gained new skills or refreshed old ones: interviewing authors, soliciting submissions, editing reviews, researching online, and using a new software (WordPress). I’ve played a mad game of catch-up on Canadian Literature. (Living abroad makes one easily out of date with contemporary culture.) Through CWA, I have met writers, publishers, agents , archivists and scholars (not all face-to-face) and renewed old friendships. New places, new experiences, new people, all of which have skewed my life in a new direction – sounds like an adventure.

Has CWA been of service to Canadian Literature? While this is not a scholarly publication, CWA offers: insights into the writing life abroad, intriguing connections (boffin!), a new style of book review (Wilson), and authors whose work you wouldn’t otherwise have discovered (image of readers tearing off book covers). A fresh look at old books. Thoughts on dialect and place. Interviews, the questions of which could be a little more probing…

Carry on? I think so. Lots to do yet. More adventures ahead.

Bilbo Baggins and new friends

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Photo by James Fisher – © 2012 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc. (US, Canada & New Line Foreign Territories)

Posted by CWA

25 Comments

1. Glad you will continue! Don’t imagine that lack of comments means lack of readers. If I don’t have anything meaningful to add I don’t comment. And since I am usually learning something new, I don’t really have insights to share. I’m sure I am not alone. As the Whos on the dust speck said to Horton, “We’re here! We’re here! We’re Here!

1. Thanks for that amusing support.

2. Happy to hear you will be continuing! I appreciate the attention you paid to my novel and have enjoyed discovering the work of other Canadian authors who live beyond the country’s borders. I knew there were many of us out here and always thought it would be a good idea to tie us all together in some way, to give us a common place on the internet that we could call “home” – which is what CWA does. At least it does for me. Thanks, Debra!

As for feeling as though you’re writing into a void, you’re not alone. I think most bloggers feel this way. We just have to hope someone out there is actually reading what we write, even if they never take the time to comment.

1. Yes and thanks for your promotion of CWA by your retweets and so on.

3. Bonnie Laing 11/12/2013 at 17:16

I want you to continue! I enjoy the posts, I’ve learned some things and I check the keeping posted for up and coming deadlines. Keep on truckin’, Baby!

1. I’m behind the wheel. Season’s greetings, Bonnie.

4. Burns Proudfoot, UE 11/12/2013 at 18:32

should always be a work in progress don’t you think?

5. As a Canadian fiction writer who lived for some years in northeastern Spain and whose books, primarily A Destroyer of Compasses (Guernica Editions), reflect the tumult of the years immediately following Franco’s death, I am very interested in reading fiction by Canadian writers living abroad. I do hope you continue your blog.

1. Thanks Wade. Why don’t you send me a copy of Destroyer if that’s your most recent?

1. Love to. Will you email your address?

6. Hello from another from Whoville!
    Since retiring from teaching and trying to write again after burying my tender talent in the stuff of life I have sought out other writers. I’ve tried several things and had some luck finding that support. At best, a few writers have grabbed my lifeline and hauled me along to the point where I now feel I know my writer self has surfaced again. Your blog has been part of that rescue.

1. Very glad to hear I’ve given a small tug on the lifeline. Good luck with the writing. It can be tough.

7. I enjoy your posts but don’t always have a comment to offer (or the time to think of one). If you are getting so much out of it for yourself, then you are right to carry on.
    Good luck.

1. Glad to hear of your silent enjoyment. I wrote about what I got out of it in part to encourage others thinking of doing something similar. Thanks for the good wishes.

8. Very glad to hear that you’re continuing. I’ve learned so much and enjoy the posts, even when I don’t often comment. Wishing you a lovely Christmas season and much love to you all, xo e

1. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year back to you.

9. Ditto to your previous loyal reader’s comments. I thoroughly enjoy CWA and look forward to every installment. I’m glad you will continue with it, Debra. I think it’s hugely worthwhile.

1. Thanks to my second top commentator.

10. Dory Reimer 11/12/2013 at 23:46

Of course you’ll carry on! This is a fine post, all sorts of tidbits and other very interesting things that one would generally never find elsewhere. Good!

1. I really appreciate your support.

11. Great to hear you’re carrying on. It’s a bit of a void out there, but you face it in all writing, right? Take care and looking forward to a new year for CWA.

12. Yes please keep it up

13. I’ve been keeping your post in my email inbox for almost a month now to remind myself of 1. your heartfelt words, and 2. how deeply your post resonated with me. I’m happy to see all the notes of encouragement above and I agree wholeheartedly. And I will continue to keep your post in my inbox for those days when the ‘best post I ever wrote’ gets no comment or like.

1. Thanks Libby. Just to let you know that CWA and I got other positive feedback by e-mails. A new year full of posts ahead for us.